Saying that Italians like soccer is more than just an understatement – they are totally obsessed! What is it about this particular sport that keeps Italians glued to their TV screens or makes them come together in such huge numbers in stadiums?
Soccer is a sport of ancient origins, being played since the times of Ancient Greece more than 2000 years ago! In this podcast episode we will discover in more detail the sport’s history and in particular how and why it has taken such a prominent position in the Italian way of life.
This podcast is in 100% Italian – spoken at a slower pace, in clear and authentic Italian. It has been designed specifically as a Listening and Comprehension exercise to help you improve your Italian. Download the bonus PDF for some super useful learning resources, including the full transcript and great comprehension exercises.
Italy Made Easy Podcast is a language learning tool, not just yet another podcast.
It is a great way for you to work on your Italian Listening and Comprehension skills.
Don’t just listen to this Episode as you would any other Podcast in your native language!
You are here to improve your ability to speak and understand Italian, and you will if you use these resources strategically.
Below are clear and simple instructions on how you should use these learning materials.
▷ BEFORE LISTENING TO THIS PODCAST EPISODE:
- Read the TRUE/FALSE questions below; they will help you focus on the main points you need to listen out for.
▷ LISTENING TO THE PODCAST:
- Listen to the audio once. Don’t focus on trying to understand every single word and sentence.
The aim is to get the overall meaning. What is Manu talking about?
- Listen to it again and see if you can pick out the key words and find the answers to the questions as you listen.
- Listen to the audio as many times as you need – the more you listen the more you will understand. Try and identify words that you don’t know the meaning of and look them up.
The most important thing is that you listen more than once!
Download the Bonus PDF
Here are your TRUE/ FALSE Comprehension questions.
You will find the answers to these questions and even more questions in the Bonus PDF.
1. Manu ama il calcio
Manu loves soccer
2. Gli italiani amano lo sport ma spesso non lo praticano
Italians love sport but they don’t often play it
3. In Italia esistono molte squadre di calcio
In Italy there are many soccer teams
4. Le squadre di calcio italiane più grandi sono quotate in Borsa
The biggest Italian soccer teams are listed on the Stock Exchange
5. I tifosi non vanno mai allo stadio e guardano solo le partite alla tv
The fans never go to the stadium and only watch the game on tv